Press release – November 16 2016
Frontline staff at Hereford County Hospital say “you can’t catch flu from me”
More than two out of every three members of staff at Wye Valley NHS Trust have received their flu vaccination so far.
Around 2,100 staff members have been vaccinated since the start of October when this year’s staff immunisation programme began – this represents around 67 per cent of the Trust’s staff.
“We have many very sick patients in our care. Flu can have very serious consequences for people with long-term health conditions so it’s essential our staff do all they can to stay healthy themselves, and not pose a risk to our patients,” said Dr Susan Gilby, the Trust’s medical director.
“Since this year’s campaign began, front line staff have been lining up to have their flu vaccination – this includes nurses, doctors, and community health workers. They have been offered their vaccinations at drop in clinics, on hospital wards and as they arrive for work,” added Susan.
Last year at the end of the campaign a total of 65.5 per cent of staff at the Trust received their flu vaccination. The Trust has already surpassed last year’s total with the campaign not set to end until the end of the year.
“Of course, it’s not just our staff that are getting vaccinated – we’re working with our partners in health and care organisations across Herefordshire to make sure as many frontline workers as possible receive their flu jabs,” added Susan.
And she added that the flu jab is still available to members of the public, particularly those who are in “at risk” categories. These include people who:
- are 65 years of age or over (or will be 65 on March 31 2016)
- are pregnant
- have certain medical conditions
- are very overweight - anyone with a body mass index (BMI) over 40
- are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility
- receive a carer's allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
- are a healthcare worker with direct patient contact, or a social care worker
Notes to Editors WVT:
- Wye Valley NHS Trust is a provider of health services across Herefordshire and beyond. The Trust exists to improve the wellbeing, independence and health of the people we serve.
- By working closely with our partners, we can make good our promise to deliver a quality of care we would want for ourselves, our families and our friends.
- With an estimated annual turnover of around £180 million, we employ around 3,000 staff. We aim to build new relationships between our staff, patients, service users and their carers with the wider community.
For further information please contact:
John Burnett, Communication and Engagement Manager, Wye Valley NHS Trust: 01432 372928 or Amanda Millichip, Communications Officer 01432 355444 ext. 5105.