Visiting has been stopped at our hospitals and there are changes in place to a number of services. For more details visit our Coronavirus page
Press release – June 22 2017
Wye Valley NHS Trust has taken the difficult decision to introduce parking charges at its community hospitals in Ross-on-Wye, Bromyard and Leominster.
The charges will be at a reduced rate (compared to parking charges at Hereford County Hospital) and will reflect the cost of parking in the market towns.
The decision has been made for several reasons:
- To even out the inequality between parking at the County Hospital site and parking arrangements at the Trust’s community hospitals
- To cover the costs of maintaining our car parks and contribute towards the Trust’s finances
- To act as a disincentive to shoppers who currently abuse some hospital car parks by using them for free when they go shopping
“We have considered the introduction of parking charges for several years but we feel the time is right to introduce the charges now,” said Christian Homersley, head of estates, facilities and capital planning at the Trust.
“We’ve kept the charges low but hope they will act as a disincentive to dishonest motorists who we know currently abuse our free car parking, sometimes leaving patients without anywhere close to park.
“The decision will also iron out the inequalities which exist between the various sites and bring in money which will be used to help offset the Trust’s finances.
“The dire state of the Trust’s finances is well documented, and we’re sure that those using our services at our community sites will have some sympathy and understand and appreciate the rationale for the decision,” added Christian.
The car parks will become pay and display on Monday, July 10, and the cost of parking starts at just £1 per hour, rising to £2.50 for four hours and £5 for 24 hours parking.
Parking concessions will be available for patients who meet certain criteria.
A staff parking permit system is to be introduced at the community hospital sites later this summer.
Note to Editors:
- Wye Valley NHS Trust is the provider health services across Herefordshire and beyond. The Trust exists to improve the wellbeing, independence and health of the people we serve. We are the leading provider of health care in Herefordshire.
- By working closely with our partners, we can make good our promise to deliver a quality of care we would want for ourselves, our families and our friends.
- With an estimated annual turnover of around £160 million, we employ around 2,700 plus staff. We aim to build new relationships between our staff, patients, service users and their carers with the wider community.For further information please contact:
For further information please contact:
John Burnett, Communication and Engagement Manager, Wye Valley NHS Trust: 01432 372928 or Amanda Millichip, Communications Officer 01432 355444 ext. 5105.