The Health Psychology and Neuropsychology Service provides specialist psychology services for people affected by Acquired Brain Injury, Stroke, Cancer, Palliative Care and Long-Term Physical Health Conditions. We provide psychological support through individual, couple or sometimes family sessions, through groups, and by advising and supporting other services. We use a range of psychological approaches, and are staffed by Clinical Psychologists, Counsellors/Psychological therapists, an Assistant Psychologist and administrators.
All of the services aim to help people enjoy a better quality of life despite their physical health problems. This involves helping people with the difficult thoughts, feelings and choices that come with physical health problems. If their difficulties mainly concern long-term mental health problems, they are more likely to be helped by our local Mental Health Service providers, 2gether Trust https://www.2gether.nhs.uk/
We see patients who are registered with a Herefordshire GP. Some specific services also have an arrangement for seeing people from Gwent, Powys or other counties.
Where to Find Us and How to Contact Us
Depending on which part of the service they are using, patients may be seen in a range of places, including the following:
- Neuropsychology/brain injury: Vaughan Building (Belmont), occasionally Hereford County Hospital wards
- Stroke: Vaughan Building (Belmont)
- Cancer/palliative care: Vaughan Building (Belmont), Macmillan Renton Unit HCH, St Michaels Hospice
- Long-term physical health conditions service: Vaughan Building (Belmont), various community hospitals
Office telephone / voicemail:
Brain Injury: 01432 363934
Cancer and palliative care: 01432 347697
Long-Term physical health and conditions and stroke: 01432 347641
The service operates 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, though as a small service calls may go to answerphone at times.
- Dr. Ray Owen, Consultant Clinical Psychologist (Cancer & Palliative Care) and Professional Lead for Health Psychology
- Dr Emma Nicholas, Clinical Psychologist (Neuropsychology)
- Kate Jones, Senior Psychological Therapist
- Sue Jackson, Specialist Counsellor in Long Term Conditions
- Charlotte Putland, Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist
- Assistant Psychologist
- Lesley O’Brien, Team Administrator
- Hayley Stockton: Administrator