If you have a minor injury or illness
The list below will help you find alternative NHS services available for treating a minor injury. Click here to find out which NHS service you need.
- Self-care - you may be able to treat minor illnesses or injuries such as sprains, strains, insect stings and cuts and grazes yourself
- Local pharmacist - can give advice for treating common illnesses and the best medicines to use. Click here to find your local pharmacy. Click here to access a short film on pharmacy advice.
- Visiting your GP - for medical advice, examinations or an illness or injury that require prescriptions. click here to find out more.
- Extended GP opening hours until 8pm - see contact details below or click here.
GP cover out of normal surgery hours - you can also call Primecare on 0330 123 9309. This “out-of-hours” service applies from 6pm to 8am, from Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday, Sunday, Bank Holidays and Public Holidays. This ervice is for urgent medical problems that cannot wait until normal surgery hours and should not be used for routine appointments or repeat prescriptions.
- Minor Injuries Unit - for treatment of minor injuries, such as cuts, grazes, bites, stings, sprains, minor eye infections/foreign bodies and minor burns. Located at Ledbury Community Health and Care Centre and Kington Court Health and Social Care Centre. See opening hours below.
- Calling NHS 111 - Call NHS 111 if you need urgent medical help but it’s not a life-threatening emergency. 111 is also the easiest way to access the GP out-of-hours service.
- NHS walk-in centre - for treating minor illnesses and injuries that do not require an emergency department visit and without needing an appointment. Click here to find out more. Walk in Centre, Belmont Road Hereford, open every day, 8am until 8pm.
- Dental access centre - for advice and treatment out of hours. Please see below for further details. Find out about dental care available out of office hours.
Herefordshire Minor Injury Units (MIUs)
You should attend a MIU for treatment of minor injuries such as cuts grazes, bites, stings sprains, strains, minor eye infections/foreign bodies and minor burns.
- Ross Minor Injury Unit (located at Ross Community Hospital) is open from 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday only.
- Leominster Minor Injury Unit (located at Leominster Community Hospital) is open from 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday only.
- Ledbury Community Health and Care Centre, Minor Injury Unit is open 24/7, excluding public/bank holidays.
- Kington Health and Social Care Centre, Minor Injury Unit is open from 8am to 8pm, excluding public/bank holidays.
Life threatening illness or injury
If you require urgent treatment out of hours please visit the Accident & Emergency Department at The County Hospital, Hereford.