Visiting has been stopped at our hospitals and there are changes in place to a number of services. For more details visit our Coronavirus page
Infant feeding and Baby Friendly Status
Wye Valley NHS Trust was recognised by UNICEF in 2019 for work with mothers and newborn babies and awarded Baby Friendly Status. Recognising that best practice standards are in place to protect, promote and support breastfeeding and all mothers with their informed feeding choices.
This award also recognises best practice in strengthening and supporting mother-baby and family relationships. Click here to access a guide about our policy to support new families to make informed choices about infant feeding.
There is a high level of support for all mothers with infant feeding choices. It is recognised that often mothers who choose to breastfeed give up before they had planned. The Trust has put many measures in place to support these mothers.
What we offer:
- Caring and feeding your baby - we would like to offer you the opportunity to do some background reading regarding infant feeding, skin to skin contact with your baby and the importance of closeness and comfort for your babys development. Click here to find out more.
- Once you have given birth in addition to your midwife and health visitor, we have a team of maternity support workers on the ward and in the community to support new mothers. We offer video and and face to face support.
- Our peer support from trained mothers currently suspended due to Covid-19.
- There is a infant feeding specialist health visitor lead in the community who offers online video support and face to face when required. The contact number is 07792396407 - available Tuesday to Friday 9am to 5pm. Also see above link for feeding support contact numbers.
- We have a referral pathway for tongue tie division if required - click here to access this information. This service is currently suspended due to Covid-19.
- We have our own Facebook Page Herefordshire Breastfeeding Information.
- Breastfeeding checklist - click here to access.
On this page we give updates on breastfeeding support, latest government advice and any events we are running.
- We also run a yearly Breastfeeding celebration day at the Courtyard Theatre in Hereford to mark International Breastfeeding Week. This is in partnership with other voluntary and statutory bodies. We also have regular fundraising events. Please check our Facebook page, see above link, if you would like to see what there is on offer, get some additional support or perhaps in the future join us as a breastfeeding peer supporter. This will be reviewed closer to the time due to Covid-19.
However you choose to feed your baby we are here to support you to get off to the best possible start.