Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is the leading cause of disability in young adults. Over time MS is normally progressive and can cause complex disability in some patients. It is not life threatening and consequently the management of MS is a long term team effort. Fluctuating symptoms both physical and cognitive may increase levels of co-existing conditions such as depression.
Clinics are run in varying locations across Herefordshire. We can also visit you own your own home.
Our aims are:
- To provide a responsive service to the changing needs of the person with MS, their families and carers
- To provide health promotion for the newly diagnosed
- To undertake the management of people with MS at and after diagnosis
- To provide education for carers of people with MS and also health and social care staff
- The management and coordination of the disease modifying medication
- To undertake palliative care and management of people throughout the whole of their disease trajectory leading to being severely affected by MS
We will see anyone going through a diagnosis of MS. There are a few diseases that mimic MS. Two of these are Devic's disease and also Hughes syndrome. We will review people with these conditions.
The MS Service is available and a telephone helpline operates Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm excluding Bank Holidays
Multiple Sclerosis Specialist Nursing Service
Gaol Street health Clinic
Office Tel No: 01432 378941