Visiting has been stopped at our hospitals and there are changes in place to a number of services. For more details visit our Coronavirus page
Knowledge & Library Services
We are here to help all NHS staff in Herefordshire deliver high quality patient care by supporting clinical and management decision making, lifelong learning, service development and clinical research. Our services include:
- Enquiry Service in person, by email or phone
- Current Awareness – keep up to date with your subject
- Document Supply – find the articles you need
- E-Learning Support – PCs and 1-1 support available
- Library & Information Skills Training – how to access e-Resources
- Literature Searching – finding the evidence you need to support decision-making
- Outreach – delivering our services in your workplace
- Books – collection covering all areas of healthcare
- Library Catalogue – go to www.hawks.nhs.uk to view our collection
- Journals – we have access to key journals covering all areas of healthcare.
- Fiction & Wellbeing – resources to support your health & wellbeing
- IT Facilities – PCs and laptops are available to use within the library
- Printing, Photocopying and Scanning facilities available
Electronic Resources (www.athens.nhs.uk)
An OpenAthens account gives you access to a variety of online resources including:
- Healthcare Databases Advanced Search (HDAS) which provides access to literature searching databases including CINAHL, EMBASE and MEDLINE
- ProQuest Hospital Collection offers a range of health and social care publications many with full searchable text
- UpToDate – an evidence-based clinical decision support resource for healthcare practitioners to help them make the right decisions
- eJournals – access to over 1000 online journals titles including the BMJ, The Lancet, British Journal of Midwifery and British Journal of Nursing
- e-Books – you can access our EBL collection of e-books to read on-line or download to an eReader – please ask staff for further details
- Royal Marsden Manual – you can access this from any trust PC or on your own device via OpenAthens
To sign up for a free account, click here and complete the online form (openathens.nice.org.uk). Please use your NHS, work or academic email address to help verify the account.
NICE Evidence Search (www.evidence.nhs.uk)
Alternatively you can access electronic resources through NICE Evidence Search by clicking on ‘Journals & Databases’. The website also provides access to Clinical Knowledge Summaries, Medicines Information, BNF, the Cochrane Library, NICE guidance, pathways, and other accredited information.
Advice & Assistance
Our team of experienced library staff are on hand to assist you in literature searching, information skills, current awareness and eLearning: don’t be afraid to ask for help.