More information is available on the visiting page
Subject Access Requests (SAR) – How to make a request
What is a Subject Access Request?
Under the UK General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018, you have the right to make a request to obtain copies of your medical records or other information we, the Wye Valley NHS Trust, hold about you. These requests are free, the Trust will only make a charge in certain circumstances.
Please find more information about your individual rights here: https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/.
Who can request this information?
- The named individual.
- The personal representative of an individual (such as someone holding Power of Attorney).
- The parent / legal guardian of a child.
When requesting information on behalf of another person, if the individual has capacity we may need to still obtain their consent to process the request.
How can I make a Subject Access Request?
You will need to provide us with copies of two forms of identification (we do not need to see the originals) so please get these ready before you start your request. Below is a list of examples of these documents however, is not exhaustive of all options so if you are unsure on this, please do not hesitate to contact us.
One document confirming your name
- Full driving license
- Birth certificate
- Marriage or civil partnership certificate
- NHS identity badge
One document confirming your address
- Utility bill
- Bank statement
- Credit card statement
- Benefit book
- Pension book
Examples of documents that confirm you are allowed to act on behalf of the person you are making the request for
- Health and welfare lasting power of attorney;
- Court of protection order appointing you as a personal deputy for the personal welfare of the subject;
- Full birth certificate of the child;
- Full certificate of adoption;
- Parental responsibility order;
- Signed declaration from the subject.
There are a few ways you can request this information from us, so please choose the method that is easiest for you:
- Fill in the webform below and attach your identification documents when prompted.
- Print off the Subject Access Request form linked here and either send it back to us in the post or scan it over to us via e-mail. Please see the addresses at the bottom of this page.
- Send us an e-mail with your two identification documents attached with details of your request in the body of the e-mail.
- If you are unable to use any of these methods, please give us a call.
How long will it take for me to receive this information?
We usually have one month from when we receive your request and confirm your proof of identification, though if the request is complex we can extend the time further. If you are urgently needing the requested information, please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss further as we may be able to process this more quickly depending on workloads.
Radiology Imaging and X-Rays
If you are requesting information that includes Radiology imaging or X-Rays please be aware that we will have to send these out to you on a CD to the address you have provided, due to the software required to display the images.
Records of deceased people
If you are requesting information about a deceased person, we need to process your request under the Access to Health Records Act (1990).
Under the terms of the Act, you need to be either:
- A personal representative (the executor or administrator of the deceased person's estate)
- Someone who has a claim resulting from the death
Please use the Access to Health Records Form and either send it back to us in the post or scan it over to us via e-mail. Please see the addresses at the bottom of this page.
Mental Health Medical Records
Please note, the majority of Herefordshire’s mental health records are held under the Herefordshire and Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust, this includes the Stonebow Unit near the County Hospital. If you would like to access these records, please follow the link below to their website:
GP Medical Records
If you are wanting to access records recorded by your GP surgery, you will need to contact them directly for this information.
Subject Access and Data Protection Act Administrator
Wye Valley NHS Trust
31-34 Commercial Road
Hereford HR1 2BG
Tel: 01432 262064/262065