Changes to visiting arrangements and a number of services are in place. For more details visit our Coronavirus page
Speech and language therapy
What is a Speech and Language Therapist?
Speech and language therapists (SLTs) work with children and adults who have communication problems including;
- Difficulties listening and concentrating
- Difficulties interacting with others
- Difficulties understanding what people say
- Difficulties saying sounds and words
- Difficulties putting words into sentences
- Voice difficulties
Speech and Language Therapists also help children and adults who have eating, drinking and swallowing problems.
Speech and Language Therapists are "Allied Health Professionals", and are governed by 2 organisations:
- The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT). To be eligible, the individual successfully completes a Degree Qualification through a University
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Every SLT must be registered with this body to be called a qualified Speech and Language Therapist
Each Speech and Language Therapist is checked through the Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) before they can be employed. All professionals who work with children must be CRB checked, as part of the Safeguarding Children and Every Child Matters Government Directive.
Places where Speech and Language Therapists work
Speech and Language Therapists work in various locations and settings across the county to support and develop individual’s communication needs.
Speech and Language Therapists work with parents. carers, families and other key people to help individuals communicate as effectively as they can. Speech and Language Therapists may provide support to:
- Schools and nurseries:
- Children's centres
- Nursing/residential home
- Patient’s own homes
- Community sites
Speech and Language Therapy Services
Speech and Language Therapy Department
Tel: 344344 or 363975
Speech and Language Therapy
Wye Valley NHS Trust
The County Hospital
Tel: 01432 355444 ext 5155
Charity site: The RCSLT is the professional body for speech and language therapists in the UK