More information is available on the visiting page
Children's Occupational Therapy
About our service and role
- Occupational Therapists (OTs) provide a community service for children and young people registered with a Herefordshire GP or Herefordshire council tax household (if referral is for home adaptations/equipment at home)
- The role of the Occupational Therapist is to assess, evaluate, advise and/or provide intervention for children and young people whose participation in activities of daily living (including self-care, play, leisure and school) is significantly compromised by physical, motor, sensory or learning difficulties.
- We also support children and young people where there are barriers in the physical environment at home or nursery/school that impact on function i.e. access to building and facilities, transfers, seating for function.
- Assessments take place in a variety of settings including clinics, home, educational facilities, pre-school and other environments applicable to the child.
Standardised and non-standardised assessments are used to identify factors affecting a child’s ability to participate in activities of daily living and any difficulties with this. If appropriate, following assessment, interventions will be recommended which may include advice for parents/schools, workshops, group or individual treatment sessions, equipment or environmental adaptation recommendations.
Working in partnership
- Our team work in partnership with children and young people, their families / carers, education, healthcare and social care professionals, and are part of a multi-disciplinary approach.
The department is staffed by seven Occupational Therapists and three Occupational Therapy Technicians, most are part time but working patterns provide cover across the working week. All Occupational Therapists are HCPC registered.
The Occupational Therapy team works together with colleagues including Health Visiting, Paediatricians, Speech and Language Therapy, Physiotherapy and the Wheelchair Service
Workshops and resources - for parents and carers
- Find out about about the Children's Occupational Therapy Sensory Workshop.
- Find out about the Children's Occupational Therapy Life skills Workshop.
How to contact us and opening hours
Special educational needs and disabilities local offer
Herefordshire's Local Offer sets out the support, services and information available for children and young people, from birth to 25 years old, with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and their families. Find out more.
Children’s Occupational Therapy Team
Tel: 01432 269584
Opening hours - find out about our opening hours
- Sensory workshop and resources for parents and carers
- Life skills workshop and resources for parents and carers